With technology increasing, and Downhill bike racing becoming a popular sport, bike manufacturers are having to meet the needs of downhill riders. Companies such as Giant, Trek, and tones more, have always stayed on top of the game. The following bikes are some of the latest designs, technologies, and materials which have been moulded into some of the greatest bikes we’ll be seeing in the 2018 race season, and beyond!
5. Transition TR11 GX
The Transition TR11 GX is perhaps one of the fastest looking bikes on the list! The Transition is an extremely agile and light weight bike. With less travel at the rear (195mm) combined with the light weight Carbon Fibre construction of the frame, the TR11 is extremely reactive and agile. Featuring Fox factory DHX2 at the rear, and a Boxxer RC at the front, the bike is extremely adjustable and customizable. Coming is small, medium, large, and extra large, the Transition TR11 is made to suit all sizes of riders!
- Rockshox Boxxer RC Forks – 200mm travel
- Fox factory DHX2 shock – 195mm travel
- E-thirteen wheelset, with Joytech DH hubs 27.5″
- Raceface atlas/Sram 1 by 7 drivetrain
- Sram Code R hydraulic brake set
4. Nukeproof Pulse RS
The Nukeproof Pulse RS is not only an aggressive looking bike, but happens to hold some of Nukeproof’s latest and greatest features. Being made of Alloy (6061) it certainly doesn’t fall short! Nukeproof’s Pulse RS comes in small, medium, large, and extra large, with a 63 degree head angle on each size, providing a stable, and plush ride. With 10mm more rear travel, improved sensitivity, 200mm front travel, and a greater frame geometric design, the Nukeproof Pulse RS is a revolutionary design put out by Nukeproof.
- Rockshox Boxxer WC Solo Air – 200mm travel
- Rockshox Super Deluxe Coil RC – 200mm travel
- Mavic DeeMax 27.5″ DH wheelset
- Sram XO 1 by 7 Drivetrain
- Sram Code R hydraulic brake set
3. Giant Glory 1 Downhill MTB
The trusty old Giant Glory 1 coming in at number 3, certainly still holds up to its name! The giant glory 1 now featuring 203mm of maestro set-up suspension at the rear, with a co-pivot rockshox R2C shock at the rear, rockshox boxxer team 200mm-travel fork, and a ALUXX SL-grade aluminium frame, the Giant glory is strong, comfortable, and rides like a dream! The Giant Glory 1, coming is sizes small, medium, and large, fits almost all riders, and certainly suits all levels!
- Rockshox boxxer team – 200mm travel
- Rockshox R2C shock – 200mm travel
- DT-Swiss EX-471 wheels 27.5″ with DT-Swiss/Giant Hubs
- Sram GX DH 1×7-speed DH-specific drivetrain
- Sram Guide R hydraulic disc brake set
2. Mondraker Summum Pro
At number 2, the Mondraker Summum Carbon Pro Team makes an appearance! With a 63 degree head angle, full carbon stealth frame, full fox suspension, 203mm travel, and some of the greatest components out, the Summum Pro certainly deserves 2nd place! Coming in Small, medium, large, and extra large, this speed demon is made for all sizes of riders! Not only is this rig a racing machine, but looks absolutely mint, with Saint cranks, Renthal Fatbars/grips, and a full matte finish!
- Fox 40 float Kashima – 203mm travel
- Fox DHX2 Factory Kashima
- DT-Swiss 240 Wheelset – 27.5″
- Shimano Saint Hollowtech Drivetrain
- Shimano Saint M820 hydraulic brake set
1. Trek Session RSL Downhill MTB
Finally, and deservingly, the Trek Session RSL Carbon 2018! This absolute gun just keeps getting better with age. Now with improved stability, comfort, control and a wider variety in sizings; Small medium, large, extra-large, as well as 27.5″ and 29″ wheels, this bike is extrememly suited to any size, fitness, or level of rider. With front and rear fox suspension, the bike has improved customization and personalization of all suspension settings! This particular session has increased the wheel base and reach, giving the bike an overall greater stability.
- Fox factory 40 forks – 200mm travel
- Fox float x2 – 210mm travel
- DT-Swiss FR1950 wheelset – 27.5″ or 29″
- Shimano saint drivetrain
- Shimano saint brake set
Throughout the coming year, we will see these bikes being ridden by some of the biggest names in downhill racing! For more opinions on the top downhill bikes of 2018, visit RedBull’s top 6 list!
Want to ride your downhill bike locally, but cant find trails? Check out our guide to trails in Adelaide here!
Tags: Downhill Mountain Bike Bicycle Best Top 10 ten 5 Five bikes fox rockshox mtb racing redbull lightest fastest cheapest dh free ride